Thursday, April 27, 2006

bb

Thursday, 27th April, ‘06

Ahh.. Alone in the office again. The cleaner uncle who comes in every Thursday has finally left me to plan what to do for the next couple of hours. Can you believe it? He thought I had kids!! God, do I look that old? Or is our generation already congested with very young, married couples with kids?

Anyway, I want to talk about the meeting which I went to on Tuesday. It was a very funny experience. I don’t know what to make of it. Let me start from the beginning. I followed my colleague (who was a colleague of bapak) to the meeting. We reached there first and waited for everyone to arrive. Then, 2 guys came in. Guy A is project director while guy B is the assistant of the supervisor. Then came in 2 more guys from the M & E dept. At last, Guy C, who’s the supervisor of the whole thing, came in and he started the game going.

It was a total bore at first, with them confirming the schedule, discussing the tender and some PQM stuff (my fave subject..NOT) and my colleague taking down the minutes. Then, i suddenly realized that everyone had switched to the Hokkien channel without informing me beforehand. So there I was, looking as though I understood what the hell they were saying while glancing at my colleague’s notes. The funny thing was that Guy A only spoke in Chinese with 4-5 English words (max!) for the whole meeting. Guy B was the kanchiong one (reminded me of Abel) who looked selenge and Guy C made jokes with a straight face (looks like Jeffrey, but who’s Jeffrey?). Looking around at all of them, I tried desperately not to either laugh, drop dead or jump up on the meeting table and do a solo tapdance for them, which I didn’t do at all. Bummer.

So, after the meeting, went with my colleague to siglap for site visit. During the journey, he talked while I listened, nodded and said a few words. He’s a bit like the old dude himself but not the philosopher part lah. And then, we talked to the contractor at the site. You know what he said to me? At first he asked me how’s design. I said its good. Then he said,

“Design is like taking a naked woman and dressing her up. . Right?”

God, I tell you, I felt like guffawing out loud in front of him and my colleague, whom I will name B. If he meant that literally, we would be a bunch of sickos who have nothing better to do than to dress up rich naked woman. Tsk, tsk, tsk.

Ok, now I want to continue with my work, I have to clear the backlog which some people left behind. Haiz, its tiring finishing up other people’s design. And I have to wait for my boss’ instructions for the new project which she wants completed by 4th May. Crazy right? Ciao.

No comments: